Thursday, October 1

The Boy In Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

I liked this novel although the subject matter was a deviation from what some people would consider children's book subject matter as it is about The Holocaust, I wound up realizing that many children's books I have read are about the Holocaust or even adult movies seen through the eyes of a child so I considered why many people after reading this book wonder about its inclusion in children's literature.  I decided it is that childish tone of the book that is absolutely adhered to until the very end.  There are no grown-up, quick realizations from an adult perspective for the kids to grasp the horrors - just childlike innocence with which to analyze their circumstances. I think its strict adherence is the difference in the tone - not that it is a book written for children.  All ages is a better classification of this book than children's.  If you read it to your children, be prepared to answer some difficult questions - as they will probably be very open, honest questions which is why they might be difficult to answer, as is with the questioning at the end of the book if this is material for children, particularly because there are no adult viewpoint summations of the horrors, no classifying 'bad' and 'evil'.  The boys in the book go right on assuming that they are in childhood, period.  As children do.

Watch as me and my boys (almost in their pajamas) go to brunch and then make
Story Runes - an easy craft to inspire storytelling and better bedtime stories.

Deciding upon the craft to go along with this book review was mind boggling.  What I did was go to brunch with my children and then, after stumbling into the best neighborhood craft store, I decided to make Story Runes and keep them in a little bag, and hang them from the moon. (A hanger made in the shape of a crescent moon.)  I hope you will enjoy it and even make story runes for you and your children.  What are story runes?  You can make up how to use them, that is part of the fun, or you can adhere to the rule that each person - or the designated story teller of the evening - reaches into the bag and pulls out a rune, stone, charm, or ball which might have a word, picture, letter, or just be a shape and color.  The storyteller then makes up a story depicting some aspect of the rune - for inspiration and added challenge.  Brunch was delicious.  We went to Pine State in Portland, Oregon, and I show you as much of the brunch as I can.  :)  I shot this video myself.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (Young Reader's Choice Award - Intermediate Division)

The boy who isn't in the striped pajamas, in the book, often thinks about eating a sandwich and sharing one with his friend - in the pajamas. I think we've changed sides, and I put all the stories to rune - to rest? - something like that.  If you read the book, leave a comment, tell me what you think.  Is it a children's book to you or is it all ages?

No comments:

Post a Comment